6.08.2010

Doctor appointments

It’s sad how much time I spend in doctors’ offices and at pharmacies. My poor kids know these places all too well. I spent last Tues and Wednesday getting my MRI and physical for my surgery. The MRI went rather smoothly, unlike many from the past, where I would fall asleep and twitch, and they would have to repeat a 4 or 5 minute scan that I messed up. I’ve had MRI’s that were supposed to take 45 minutes take 90. Thankfully, this MRI took the planned 45 minutes. I don’t know if you have ever laid perfectly still in a tunnel for 45 minutes before, but it’s not very easy or fun. In the past I at least got to pick out music to listen to, but not this time. The staff was very nice; they were obviously used to doing pre-op MRI’s and had seen many patients go from the MRI table straight to the operating room. They wished me luck as I left.

Since giving me my diagnosis six months ago, my primary care physician was a little surprised I have since decided to have the surgery. She asked me if the surgeon had informed me that not all “Chiarians” are “cured” by the surgery; there is the risk that I will go through all of this and not get better, and that may be surprising to some people. I know this. But I’ve spent this past year in such pain, those who are close to me are not surprised that I am doing this. It has affected my family, relationship with Mike, my friendships, my career…every aspect of my life. Living with chronic pain is not living; it is surviving. I don’t see this as “elective surgery” as some may see it. I see it as my last hope to turn my life around and lead a normal life again.

My physical with my doctor involved several tests starting with an EKG, which I didn’t pass. Apparently my heart has a premature beat or something, so I now have another appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow. My physician assured me that it’s probably nothing, but we really need to get the cardiologist's “blessing” to proceed with the surgery. I was told several times as a child that I have a heart murmur and even went once for an ultra sound and it came out fine, so I’m not too worried. I’m sure this is just something they need to do as a precaution and that I’ll be cleared to proceed.

My doctor also did a routine exam, and then took a swab of my nose to test for staff infection (that was fun) before sending me to the lab where they drew several vials of blood. Later in the day, the lab called to ask me to PLEASE return; they had forgotten to take a tube of blood. Seriously?!?! I now have bruises on both arms (I bruise easily), but it was really no big deal to go back, luckily I live close by.

Another appointment I had this week was with my neurosurgeon’s partner who gave me trigger point injections. Basically, she injected steroids and Novocain into the areas of my neck and shoulders that really hurt to get me through to surgery (about 7 injections total), and ensure me a peaceful vacation. I had this done once before, and while the injections hurt, their effects last for a few weeks and are really worth it. She did an amazing job, I have to say! I just spent the past five days in Jamaica with Mike, and I am so thankful to him for taking me away to such an amazing place where we could escape reality for a while and relax in paradise before this scary experience really takes place. I’m also thankful that my doctors could put me put me out of pain so that I could fully enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete